FIRE EXIT SAFETY CONCERNS
Model building and life safety codes require window bars (on windows used for secondary means of escape) to be quickly opened from the inside without the use of tools, keys, or special knowledge.
Typically, secondary escape windows are windows in sleeping rooms and in basements with habitable space. Specific applications, however, may require windows other than these to be used for secondary escape.
Always consult your local building and fire codes regarding emergency egress from your home.
Codes Can Include:
- The Uniform Building Code
- The National Building Code
- The Standard Building Code
- National Fire Protection Association 101 – The Life Safety Code
- The International Residential Code